Friday, December 26, 2008

Display Your Vintage Toys in Style Using Track Lighting

I will readily admit, I like my collectibles, and I likely go a bit overboard with their display. For several months, I've had 'lighting installation' on my todo list to show off my Transformers Figures and Star Wars Vintage Toys. I already have them in custom built Lucite display case (with internal lighting, no less!), but I wanted to freshen things up a little.

Curved track lighting has brought about a new standard in home and business lighting decor. Decorators and designers are no longer restricted to fixed lighting systems and expensive installations. With track lighting, I was able to mold the overhead lighting into a serpentine pattern (of course, I could have chosen any form) to focus maximum attention on the cabinets. This worked out much better than working with fixed overhead lighting, where the only opportunity for changing was through expensive contractor services. Using this track lighting setup, I can easily manipulate the lighting setup as my collection changes.  

Most curved track lighting functions in an extremely simple and easy to use fashion. When purchasing lighting, the best to use types are usually packaged as a set of rails (mine came packaged in 8's). These independent rails can then be joined together with a set of hubs that can rotate. This is what allows for later reconfiguration, with the rails simply clicking together and rotating without the need for any exotic tools or hard work.  The assembly as a whole connects to an anchor point attached to the ceiling. This anchor can also be adjusted, raising and lowering to accommodate new cases of varying sizes.

I'd recommend this kind of setup for anyone whose needs might change over the years. The kits themselves are very affordable, and definitely cheaper than hiring expensive contractor services. Installation was easy for the most part, and only fix to the ceiling or wall at a central anchor, simplifying things further. This allowed me to focus on the design, rather than on drilling holes and twisting wires! There are many curved track lighting manufacturers in the United States, with some of the best names being outfits like Bellacor and Lightolier.

So the end result is that I'm happy, my wife has grudgingly called the project a success, and we have a room with a completely different feel. With that done, I can now turn my attention to that closet full of classic toys games that my wife has been begging me to list on eBay.

No comments: