Saturday, October 11, 2008

A SCENE IN THE EXAMINATION HALL

It was with a feeling of excitement that I went to the college which was my center for the SSC examination. The SSC examination is considered very important for a student and so my father also accompanied me to the center.

The examination was scheduled to start at 11 a.m. but we reached the center at 9-30 a.m., for I was a bit nervous and wanted to locate my seat. The gate of the college building was locked. At 10 a.m. the watchman opened the gate and we rushed in. I shoved my way through the crowd and scanned the list on the notice-board for my number. On account of my nervousness 1 could not find any number, but my father could find it within a few minutes. I was relieved.

For the next half an hour all the students were engrossed in a last minute revision. At 1045 a.m. went the first bell and we entered our respective examination halls. The parents wished their children success, gave some last minute instructions (as parents usually do), waved their hands and left.

The invigilator was already there. He distributed the answer books to us, and asked us to fill up the details on the front page.

The examination started at 11 a.m. I began to perspire as the question paper was handed over to me. For a minute or two my mind became blank. But as 1 glanced through the question paper, my confidence returned. Now I began to feel that the questions were very easy. I straightaway started writing. I was writing my paper furiously till 11 -30 a.m. when I heard the whisper of the boy sitting next to me. I ignored him. He stretched out his hand and snatched my written supplement towards him. Within a moment the invigilator was right by my side, "Do you want to get into trouble?" he asked me. I told him the truth. He admonished my neighbour and only after that did the latter leave me alone. The rest of the examination passed smoothly.

I completed writing all answers at 1 - 45 p.m. and tied up all the answer sheets. Then 1 hurriedly went through the answers to revise them. At 1 - 50 p.m. there was the warning bell and the invigilator instructed all the candidates to tie up their supplements. As the final bell rang at 2 p.m. the invigilator went round and collected the answer books. As I handed over my answer book I was beaming with delight because I had performed very well.

No comments: